Sunday, June 29, 2008

Oly Trials: Day One

I'm back at the hotel room now after dinner and recovery after day one. I'm not exactly where I was hoping to be with a 100m that was a bit sluggish, 2 fouls into a third long jump that didn't touch the take-off board, a decent shot, and another mediocre high jump, but the atmosphere is amazing. There was a pretty good crowd all day and they're super into it. By the time we got to the 400m we were in front of a crowd of 20,000 people. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like a rookie a bit (I may or may not have been distracted at one point in the high jump when I noticed the videoboard in the corner of my eye following my jumps). I pulled a rookie mistake in the over-officiated high jump when the official scratched my third attempt at 1.96m because I approached the bar too soon (yeah, that happened). Anyways, it's a hell of an experience and I'm looking forward to coming back for day two f ora chance to drop some big events.

Til then I'll leave you with these (100m - lane 2 on far right, Shot - my last and best throw, but a foul):




No comments: