Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TGA: 7,694

Coming into the meet, 18th on The List
for Trials, ie, the last spot, was 7,790, thus it would take that score or higher to go. After the first day I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a bit panicked, but after looking at the numbers I knew that a solid 2nd day could still get to 7800 and a spot in the meet. We figured it'd take about a 14.6 hurdle, 45m disc, 5.10m vault, a 57m jav, and a 4:47 1500m. All but the vault I'd done before.
The day had some great spots, but I just didn't have enough. My hurdles just weren't there for me, but everything else was pretty close. I was far from clean early in the race and just didn't have much pop in the legs to get em sprinting after that: 14.93. This discus was decently solid at 43.92m (144'), but again, the points were slowly slipping away.
The vault, however, went very well. I opened at 4.80m (5cm under my PR a year ago) with a big clearance, skipped to 5.00m and hit a HUGE clearance for a first attempt new PR. I then moved to 5.10m (16'-8.75") and also cleared this on my first attempt. The guys were giving me crap for not celebrating my PR the height before, so at this one I had to give out a bit of a yell with my obligatory fist pumps. We then moved the bar 5.20m (~17') despite some big hip height, I wasn't able to clear it cleanly. My confidence was great, I was working my largest pole with ease, and 16 feet looked like 14 feet. It felt great. The vault was finally coming around. I walked away with 940 points and I was back into the game with a chance.
The jav was better than it had been. I opened with a strong 56 (184') meter throw, but couldn't get things to line up enough to better it on my final two. I was able to muster up a strong kick on top of a strong run in the 1500m to finish with a 4:39, a 2 second PR to punctuate a 90 pt overall PR, but in the end, if the guys who are supposed to know what they're talking about know what they're talking about, I'm going to be about 100 pts shy of making the cut for The Trials. I'll know for sure after this weekend when all declarations are required.

A lot of good came out of this meet. A great breakthrough in the 100m, another in the vault, and great strong finish in the 1500m. I was top three in all throws with wins in the shot and vault against some very good competition. It was the first time I'd been over 7,000 pts after 9 events (a secret goal of mine for a while), and a day two PR better topping 3,900 pts combines for a score that puts me in the top 45 in the world.

100 pts:
10 cm in the long jump (25 pts)
2 bars (6cm) in the high jump (54 pts)
1 bar (10cm) in the vault or 0.20 seconds in the hurdles (31 pts)
thus, taking the hurdles out of it: 26 cm, ie, less than 11 inches.

No comments: