Saturday, March 7, 2009

Combined Events Champs, Day 1

Good day today.
We're at a great facility and we've got a great group of guys. After a couple of scratches we're down to only a field of 8 people so it's a good number without being too big.
The meet started well with a PR in the 60m and a solid Long Jump. I was in 8th after 2 events but it was close. I opened the shot with a real solid 14.33m throw (47 ft) which led the competition by quite a bit until Jake Arnold stepped up with a big 14.98m throw. I wasn't able to answer but was still able to hop up one spot to 7th place.
In the high jump I continued the charge. Feeling great after warm-ups I opened with big clearances at 6-2 and 6-4.5. I was battling some inconsistencies in my approach (the story of my HJ this year) so despite big height over the bar I was only able to clear 1.97m cleanly (6-5ish) but still a solid showing and was in fact enough to jump me up to 5th place over all.
At the end of the first day I'm sitting on a first day PR of 3001 pts. It'll be a battle day 2 as there is less than 150 pts seperating places 2nd - 8th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great Day One, Matt. D, me and Country are cheering you on from afar. And glad to know you were able to locomote all the way to NC with your "rugs," aka: your poles. That's a new one. Have a terrific Day Two.