Wednesday, June 24, 2009

24 hours til Go Time

We've got a day to go until start time at 11am PST. Today's a super easy day for me on the track so got a great night's sleep last night and a nice big breakfast with the family before sitting in 2 hours worth of lines for credentialing. If anything it is kind of cool to realize that at least at some point everyone here is exactly the same. You've got arguably the world's fastest man, skinny little distance folk, and huge throwers all bored in the same line.
In talking though I realized I do love being a decathlete. I met John Smith yesterday on the track. One of the premier sprint coaches in the world with some of the most prestigious athletes in our sport under his charge, as we were parting he had to correct himself: "enjoy the meet," he started "actually, I know YOU'LL enjoy the meet. You guys [the decathletes] always have a great time and get the crowd nice and fired up." Great to hear from someone coming from the end of our sport that can at times seem so far away.
It was definitely great running into a bunch of the athletes and coaches I haven't seen since this time a year ago. Makes it finally feel like Go Time.

No comments: