Sunday, April 20, 2008

Congrats to Zoila: 4th at Trials and Beijing alternate

The Women's Marathon Olympic Trials were in Boston so I got up early to go cheer on fellow In-TheArena'er Zoila Gomez. Plus I figured it'd be a great way to try out my new toy: the Flip video cameras that Amory got for all of us.

Zoila came in with the 6th best time in the field but with a truly inspiring last couple of miles, she came hard charging to win by a mere second. I couldn't imagine what's it like to be that poor girl Zoila hawked down (running over 26 miles and lose the alternate spot by a mere stride length), but congrats to Zoila for showing so much heart.

I was on the Mass Ave. bridge (and got to the race late, but in time for the good start), so when I showed up Zoila came by me in 6th place at mile 21:


Here she was pretty well alone in 5th, but with some strong final miles, she was quickly coming up on 4th place. Here she is at mile 25 (she's the second one) with less than a minute between her and the 4th place spot:


Despite my bike, I wasn't able to get in an out of people fast enough to make it to the finish, but from what I here it was about as close as you can get.
I'm glad I was able to make it out. Definitely an inspiring experience and great to see. However, I am going to feel like a real wuss on my monster 20 minute run today...

No comments: