Friday, April 4, 2008

UNC-Wilmington Outdoor Debut

(I just realized this post has been sitting in my box as a draft and I forgot to publish it, sorry for the delay:)
This weekend ended up pretty well. We couldn't have asked for any better weather: low 70's with tail winds miraculously for both the hurdles and vault - although they faced opposite directions. It was my first 110m hurdle race and although it felt like someone put 15 hurdles in my lane rather than just 10, it was a decent start to the year. I was under 15 seconds which is always a good precursor.
The vault, although some good came out of it, I was pretty unhappy with. I was a little flustered with warm-ups as although the hurdles were supposed to start 10 minutes before the vault, the vault judge - who was also jumping as a masters athlete - decided that because he was ready, the competition could start 15 minutes early. As a result I didn't get a chance to take any actual jumps during warm-up. I blew through my first pole at my first attempt on opening height - 15' 3". I cleared with my second attempt on my next pole, but then blew through that pole on my first jump at 15' 9" ("blew through" = pole is too soft so I hit the bar on the way up). My next pole up is the biggest one I have, my 16' 210 ilb rated pole. It's a testimate to how much faster, stronger, and more proficient that I am this year that I am able to get on this pole so early in the season, but also means that I am going to have to be scrambling the country in search for some huge poles soon (anyone have any 16-215+ poles lying around???). Something that may get real expensive - as well as something that is going to require me to learn to be real ballsy as well.

I was real happy with how the disc went. I started off decent, then each throw was a bit better than the last. With only two days of actually touching a discus coming into this meet, that's not a bad thing at all. I know there's still a ton of technical things that can be improved very quickly, but I still managed a mark just 2 meters shy of the PR I set last year.

One of the best parts of this year is that I seem to have really picked up right where I left off last year. With track and field being the endless 'build-up' - always trying to get faster and stronger at the right times, that's a good thing to feel coming into the season.

No comments: