Wednesday, April 9, 2008

LSU Tiger Combined Events Decathlon: Day 0

I'm in and ready.

I got into Baton Rogue yesterday (luckily not flying American). I flew out mid-day, thus was able to get in a staff meeting and a quick workout at home before leaving. Brenner, my coach wasn't able to make it down, but I get one of my original coaches on this trip: dad was able to fly out and is here with me now. I got in a shake-out jog and stretch around the lake last night, then Pops and I got some good Cajun food for dinner.

Today we made it down to the track to get some pre-meet in... and we're not in the Ivy Leagues no more. This is my first time to LSU, and although I was impressed with the facilities at Univ. of Tennessee last year, this place is amazing. It'd take quite a few hands to count the number of huge frat/sorority houses around us on the lake (we're staying right on campus), but the athletic facilities are ridiculous. I'll post pictures soon (I forgot the usb cord for my camera), but imagine a track with a 9 lane oval, sprint straight away down the center of the track, 6 long jump pits, 4 throws cages, and count em: 9 possible vault boxes. Sadly, the tiger wasn't home, but of course, there is a live tiger habitat right behind one of the throws cages.

But getting on with it, the weather has been great so far around 80 with some cloud cover (not too much sun) and a bit of wind (good when the facility can run/jump/throw any direction). We have 20% chance of thunderstorms for Day 1 tomorrow (100m, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m) but we hope it stays dry on friday (hurdles, discus, vault, jav, 1,500m) where we have 60% chance of t-storms. The meet doesn't start until after 3:30pm each day so it shouldn't be too warm. Pre-meet felt decent today and the glute feels fine as long unless I'm not sitting (the flight here was not that fun), so I'm looking forward to enjoying a solid meet. The field will be 15 guys and as far as I know all collegiate other than I. I saw the Texas Tech kids warming up as I was finishing up, but other than that I don't know who else will be here. If they keep the results updating live you will be able to find them here.

Wish me luck (and do a rain dance for me on Friday).


No comments: