Saturday, April 5, 2008

Houston

Unfortunately coaching on the side of training can mean a lot of extra travel (it's 7am and I am on a 2.5 hour bus ride south to UConn right now), but fortunately it also means that I've just returned from a ten day training and competing trip in Houston. It's amazing how much ten days in the sun can do for your training. Just as the outdoor transition starts to really get frustrating (average sub-40 with ugly winds), that ten days in the sun saves me. Not to mention we get to be a part of one of what I think is one of the best track and field meets in the country: the T.S.U Relays at Texas Southern. Us pasty New England kids definitely stick out like sore thumbs at that meet, but it's an incredible experience full of music, energy, and some culture shock for both sides like I've seen nowhere else.

I think a poor travel schedule and some subsequent lack of planning on my part led to a bit of a glute strain on my end (note to self: hard quarter workouts the day before a 4am wake-up call and 6 hour plane flight may not be the best idea in the world). As a result I wasn't able to do nearly the amount of competing that I wanted to, but I was able to get a couple events in, a couple of solid workouts, but more importantly, a ton of rest as a break from my usual schedule.

I did get a chance to finally get some outdoor Javelin in. I threw a super easy 55.95m (~180 ft) the last weekend there which was a great start of the year for me. With just a couple technical things and adding some speed with an approach, that can go up real quick. I was able to get another hurdle race in, a 100m, a long jump, and a shot put as well, so although it all wasn't as much as I had planned, it worked out decently well. Getting back this week the glute still kills when I have to sit in one place for more than 15 minutes (ie, right now...), but it's been great in workouts. Both my vault and long jump sessions this week were among my best I've had and I actually enjoyed the dreaded 250-100 workout I did last night in the rain (run 250m, take :30 seconds rest, run 100m. Repeat as necessary). All is pointed well towards the decathlon in Baton Rouge next week.

For this weekend I'm laying low and trying to stay dry as I will just be coaching and resting up. I shipped my poles out yesterday (pray for me that they get there without any problems), and I will leave on my flight for Baton Rouge Tuesday evening. I hope everyone has a good weekend, and if you're in the south or in the west, enjoy some of that sun for me.

No comments: